Summary completion with a box
To tell you the truth, this task is not difficult at all, however, there are some tips and tricks that will help you to cope with it faster!
- In this task you will be given a summary (a short retelling of the part of the text) with some gaps that you need to fill in.
- After the summary there will be a box with options for the gaps
- There will be more options than gaps.
- Options will be labeled with letters. Gaps will be labeled with numbers. So in your answer sheet you should just put a necessary letter of the suitable option.
What should you do to succeed in this type of task?
1. Read the heading of the sumary.
Many IELTS candidates skip this step, but it can be a huge mistake. When you read the heading of the summary, you can quickly understand what is it about and what part of the text do you need to answer the questions. It will save you a lot of time.
2. Limit the number of options for each gap.
You see, if there are 6 gaps, for instance, and 10 options to choose from, it will be really time consuming to look through all of them every time you need to find an answer. That is why, it is better to firstly read the summary and predict what grammatically or logically suits to the gap. Then you will have 3-4 suitable options for every gap and it will help you to find the correct one faster and not to make a mistake.
3. Find key words in the text.
Now you know where to search for answers and what kind of answers should they be. So, focus on the main ideas of the summary and try to find them in the text, Then read around and choose the most suitable option for each gap.
Remember, most probably you will not meet the same word in the text as in the summary or options. Try to find their synonyms, use the skill of paraphrasing, and be attentive.
4. Underline the evidence in the text.
When you think you've found the correct answer, underline the evidence in the text and mark it with the number of the question. It will help you at the end of the reading test if you have some time to check your answers.
NB. The answers for the summary completion can be mixed in the text.
Now practice this strategy on one of the IELTS texts and you will see that it really works!
We wish you the highest score in IELTS!